The much anticipated Glock 19 Gen 5 has arrived! The gun has some new upgrades that have solved some of the previous generations’ issues. It may appear to look like its predecessors, without the finger grooves, but according to Glock, Gen 5 has 35 new or upgraded parts. Because of these upgrades, you’re definitely going to need new holster.
Ambidexterity and Appearance
One of the first things, besides the lack of finger grooves, you’ll notice is the left-handed slide release. With this feature, the previous generation holsters do not snuggly fit the Gen 5. That audible Snap when you slide Gen 4 (and previous) into Glock 19 Kydex holsters does not happen with the Gen 5. The Gen 5’s slide release resists and catches in a Gen 4 holster. This is why you’re going to need a new holster—that solid snap will affirm you have the right one (No change in soft holsters however!). As far as appearance goes, the muzzle of the slide has been tapered and rounded and the magazine well has a noticeable flare.
As with the removal of finger grooves, some other upgrades have added to Glock’s user-friendliness. The textured grips remained from the Gen 4 leaving with a familiar, tight grip for the Gen 5. Swappable backstraps also carried over to the 5 with an option for a beavertail in both sizes.
Here’s a list of other upgrades for the Gen 5
- Better trigger (Safety plunger is angled; rearrangement of springs)
- Better barrel (Glock lost the polygonal rifling; naming their new barrel a “Marksman barrel”)
- Dual Recoil Spring
- Flared Magwell
- Beveled Slide (making holstering easier)
- Tougher Coating
- Ameriglo GLOCK Spartan Operator Sights
- Backwards Compatible Magazines
- Less Parts (fewer moving parts = less change of malfunctions or breaking)
- Redesigned Firing Pin Hole (new tear-drop shape, lowering the chance of a light strike)
- New, Firing Pin Safety Shape: Square (rather than round)
You’ll be more than satisfied with the new generation. Check it out for yourself, friends!
Do you have a Glock in your collection? Is it your carry weapon?